Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Country Roads

Everyone knows that I'm a country girl through and through. I grew up in the country and I just love it! I love everything about country living - - enough space to spread out a little, the animals, the yard and gardens, even the yardwork. I love it all! In fact, I'm not sure if I could ever be a city girl again. The country lifestyle suits me just fine. Several years ago, my sister Mary and I were shopping for fabric and I saw a pattern for a wall quilt called, "County Roads". Of course, I had to buy the pattern, even though I was just learning about quilting--I knew I would make it someday. So this winter was the "someday" --the time when I began sewing my country roads wall hanging.

I loved that the quilt was a series of sweet country scenes. The pig pulling a little hay cart on his way to the mill and a rooster that's hitched a ride on his back . . .

. . . the covered bridge crossing a winding stream . . . .


. . . a black carriage being pulled by a spotted pony . . . crows on the fences . . .

. . . . a couple of houses nestled close enough together to share a clothes line so a quilt could be hung out to dry . . .

. . . and of course, a load of hay ready to be loaded into a big red barn. And every barnyard needs a rooster to get you going in the morning.

And then finally, fences and gates surrounding the whole scene to finish it off!
I worked on this quilt over a period of several months throughout the winter and finally finished it mid-March. I gained a lot of confidence in my ability to follow some pretty detailed instructions, as well as doing a lot of piecing and applique, but little by little it came together. It was kind of like putting a puzzle together and so it was very rewarding to have all the pieces fit together just like they're supposed to.
It was such a fun project and fits just perfect into my country home and lifestyle.

No comments: