Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Down in the Valley

This is another one of my winter projects. This tablerunner is made by a method called, "Paper Piecing". What that means is that by sewing fabric onto a piece of paper that has a pattern printed on it, you can use very small pieces of fabric and make some very tiny and intricate designs. I love designs with houses and trees so when I saw this pattern that combined so many of the things I love, I knew it would be a project I'd enjoy making.This pattern is called "Down in the Valley", and each side of the tablerunner represents a different little group of buildings to make up a village. First there's a home and barn surrounded by trees --does that sound familiar?

Next is the little white church . . . again surrounded by trees.Then all the different colored storesfronts and buildings that make up a little village.

Next, the little red school with a flagpole and white picket fence. All of the houses are separated by a field of freshly plowed soil . . . after all, this is a little farming community.

Put it all together with some wonky stars in the corners, a few more trees, and you have a cute little village set "Down in the Valley". I really do love paper piecing. I can use up some tiny pieces of fabric and make a unique, one of a kind tablerunner.
I like the challenge of learning new techniques and combining colors to make something that really appeals to me. It may take a while to complete because I'm not really in a hurry to finish any one project. I try to enjoy the whole process, it's not so much about hurrying to complete something as it is to enjoy each phase of the project--deciding on the pattern, selecting the fabric, piecing and then finishing the item. Then whenever one of my quilting projects is complete, I can look back on the whole thing as a enjoyable experience. That's part of my "Enjoy the Journey" mindset.

2 comments:

Mr Lee said...

Enjoy your blog.So kind.Good luck!
We hope that we will have the opportunity to make friends with you.
We invite you to come to our blog. You are welcome any time.

http://www.china-cutter.blogspot.com/

Kristi Burley said...

I love to see all of your great projects! Thanks for posting.